We all like free stuff and why not take advantage of some of the free things to do in Cape Town on your birthday, or in your birthday month?
Here are 5 free things to do in Cape Town on your birthday. These are for South Africans and all require a South African ID Number, so unfortunately not for visitors or tourists. Nothing is sponsored and there’s nothing in it for me other than to share the info.
I’ve doubled-checked the info when publishing this but of course things change so it’s best to always just check the actual deals via the relevant websites.
Do you know of more things? Let me know. Also, how about free things to do on your birthday in Joburg? Where are my readers based? Let me know.
Visit the top of Table Mountain with the cable car
Table Mountain is one of the highlights to experience in Cape Town, especially on a beatiful clear day!
Here is the lowdown on how BIRTHDAY MONTH work at the Table Mountain cableway:
- You can collect and redeem your free birthday Cableway ticket on any day of the calendar month in which your birthday falls
- For example: visitors born in October are able to collect and redeem their free birthday ticket on any day in October (even if it’s before your actual birthday)
- Regardless of when your actual birth date falls during your birthday month, you cannot redeem your free birthday ticket the following month. For example: anyone born on 31 October cannot use their birthday ticket in November
- Tickets are only available to South African citizens. You will also have to present a valid South African identity document, South African driving licence or South African birth certificate on arrival at the Cableway
Visit Table Mountain website for the latest details on this offer.
Cycle along Sea Point Promenade
Cycle along Sea Point Promenade and surrounding areas, make stops and sightsee along the way on two wheels with UpCycles.
Valid for a 1 hour bicycle rental on your actual birthday. And you’ll need to bring along proof of your birthday. Obviously LOL
Visit Up Cycles website for all the latest info on this birthday special as well as other deals.
Visit the Zeitz Mocca Museum
Zeitz Museum of Contemporary Art Africa (Zeitz MOCAA) is a public, not-for-profit institution that exhibits, collects, preserves and researches contemporary art from Africa and its diaspora; conceives and hosts international exhibitions; develops supporting educational, discursive and enrichment programmes; encourages intercultural understanding; and strives for access for all. In the Waterfront precinct.
Stop by on any day during your birthday month (Tuesdays – Sundays), show your valid South African ID or African passport reflecting your birth date and get your free ticket.
Also, in case you don’t know, under-18’s get in free anyway, and South Africans (with a valid ID or passport) can gain free entry evenry Wednesday between 10am ad 1pm.
Visit the Zeitz Mocca website for latest info on this special and other deals.
Visit the Two Oceans Aquarium
Through fun, interactive exhibits, state-of-the-art education programmes, and innovative communication campaigns, the Aquarium offers a world-class, safe, clean and all-weather experience, all designed to ensure quality family time and unforgettable memories.
Visit the Two Oceans Aquarium on your birthday or six days thereafter for free admission for the whole day! Simply show your valid South African ID.
Here’s all the details on the Two Oceans Aquarium website
Enjoy a movie at the Galileo Open Air Cinema
Simply arrive at the door during your Birthday Week with your ID and receive a FREE entry, a backrest, and a blanket! A birthday week starts on a Monday and ends on a Sunday.
The Birthday Special is not valid for Special Screenings such as Halloween, Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, Valentine’s Day and Easter Sunday –Shows.
You can also request to add a message on the Galileo screen for the birthday person or arrange to set up special décor.
All the T’cs and C’s and details about the special are on the Galileo Open Air Cinema website
More ideas of free things in Cape Town
There are also many more free things to do in Cape Town, on any day of the year. Here are some ideas:
- Visit your favorite beach
- Picnic in your local park
- Hike on Lions Head, or Table Mountain
- Drive along the coast to one of the many little villages along the way
- Take your drinks to Signal Hill and watch the sunset