Thanks so much to Natalija from Frugal In SA for nominating my blog for the Blogger Recognition Award! It’s really awesome to be recognized by others in the blogging community.
The Blogger Recognition Award is an award given to bloggers by fellow bloggers. It resembles those email chain messages (or chain letters) from long ago. When you are nominated, you find other blogs that you enjoy and simply pass it on. Unlike the traditional chain email though, this award serves a purpose: it promotes blogs and helps readers discover them. It’s an excellent way of showcasing the blogs we follow and enjoy reading, and acknowledges the hard work and dedication of the people who create such blogs. It’s also a great way to make new friends!
Why I started blogging
I only started blogging a few months ago but it’s something I’ve wanted to do for ages! It can be a little intimidating putting your thoughts and ideas out there for the world to see, but it is very rewarding when you receive positive feedback and find that people actually enjoy reading your blog and find it useful. My blogging really started as an “experiment” to see whether I could actually write decent articles and to see whether I’d enjoy it. So far I’m loving it and my blog is really growing more than I ever imagined!
Advice for new bloggers
Tip 1: Don’t waste money on fancy websites and hosting and graphic designers etc. Just start with free and easy tools and see whether it’s something you’re actually going to keep doing! One you’ve written 30 or more posts you’ll start discovering your writing style, amount of time it takes, what you want from your blog etc. Then you can start spending money on it (if you feel you need to)
Tip 2: Think of your blog as a long term project and just spend a bit of time working on it each day. Be patient and enjoy the journey of seeing your blog grow.
My nominees (in no particular order)
- Agnes Mukulu : Personal Finance blogger from Kenya
- Cape Town Citizen : Life of a Dad in Cape Town
- Stealthy Wealth : Personal Finance blogger in South Africa working towards Financial Freedom by age 45
- I Dream of FIRE : A guy from Utah longing for Financial Freedom
- Cheesy Finance : A Dutch couple working towards Financial Freedom by age 45
- Woman vs Loans : Follow Emily as she works towards paying off $73,000 in Student Loans
- Not Financial Advice : Great South African Personal Finance Blog
- A Caper in the Kitchen : A Greek chef showcasing recipes made from the heart
- Wiser Wealthier : UK Personal Finance – great site
- Financially Mint : Accouting & Law student learning and blogging about money
Some Rules for the Nominees to pay it forward:
- Thank the blogger who nominated you and provide a link to their blog.
- Write a post to show your award.
- Give a brief story of how/why you started blogging.
- Give two pieces of advice to new bloggers.
- Select 10 – 15 other bloggers you want to give this award to.
- Comment on each blog and let them know you have nominated them, providing the link to the post you created.